Makerspace Assistant Job
Description Reports to Makerspace
The Makerspace Assistant works under the direction of the Makerspace Coordinator. This
position is responsible for maintaining the makerspace, operating makerspace equipment,
completing administrative tasks and assisting makerspace visitors alongside volunteers during
weekend hours or in the absence of the Hatch (makerspace) Coordinator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various
types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not
exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the
The Makerspace Assistant will:
- Provide Customer Service
- Maintain open lab hours
- Provide direct service to students
- Oversee established public programming and high school events
- Track patron use of Makerspace
- Complete Administrative Tasks and duties
- Maintain events calendar
- Set up events with high schools and the public
- Inventory supplies and equipment
- Assist volunteers|
- Assist with training new volunteers
- Effectively communicate with volunteers
- Serve as point person for volunteers on weekends
- Operate and maintain equipment
- Skillfully operate all Makerspace equipment
- Maintain safety standards for volunteers and public users
- Track equipment and materials inventory
Skills, knowledge, and experience
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot and problem solve a variety of hardware and
software problems, including software and hardware that may be initially unfamiliar.
- Experience serving people of diverse ages and cultural/ethnic/language backgrounds
in a library, makerspace, or other informal or formal learning environment.
- Experience working/familiarity with the operation and processes involved with 3D
printing, laser cutting, sewing, electronics, and the use of basic hand tools in a lab or
educational setting is highly desirable.
- Proficient with Google Applications, Microsoft Office Suite, and the Adobe Suite.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of personalities
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail
This is a part time position (20 hours a week) with no benefits. The schedule is flexible and
will be determined by the Makerspace Coordinator and the Makerspace Assistant.
$25 an hour